Mills in Alto Aragón - central eléctrica
is on the road
toward the famous Garganta del Añisclo
de la Niscle for the French). Leave L'Ainsa
towards Bielsa and the French
border. Turn left in Escalona and follow the road until you
reach the branch leading into the village. Park your car at the dedicated spot just before
the bridge. It could
be a bit crowded because this is one of the most popular beaches in the Sobrarbe region.
The mill is in the river bed of the Río Vellos.
The mill is ideally situated to house a visitor center for the Ordesa National Park.
(12) Molino of Puyarruego - 2005
About one third of the space in the
building shown in (12) is purely dedicated to the power business. That is the
control and generator room (13). The miller and his family lived in the rest. However home and work
space weren't entirely separated: they had to accept that some of the controls
and machinery needed space from the living quarters.
he control room (13) is one big mess with wiring, tools, dirt
and engine parts scattered around. The situation won't improve now that the ceiling comes loose because
of the roof succumbing to old age.
But still, a visit is time well spent because there is lots to see.
(13) The control room of the powerstation.
irst pay attention to the colouring of the
walls (13). They feature a distinct yellow cast between the floor and a height of about 1m60.
The colour is a remainder of the autumn of 1942 when three consecutive floods inflicted
widespread damage to the Sobrarbe region. The August flood was heaviest and
caused the Río Ara a few kilometers to the South to change its course and widen its bed (†
). The Río Vellos also had its riada
and the waters engulfed the mill and rose to this impressive level.
he main features in the room are the generators
and the switch panels from where the business was monitored and controled. Let's start with the latter and
first take a look at the smaller side board.
Three nets were served, each with a dedicated circuit-breaker (15) and a dial giving the electric current
going through the wires (14).
The circuit-breakers are labeled Belsierre (built on the adjacent hill), Puyarruego
(just across the river) and T. Tierras.
(14) Three circuits with a dial each.
(15) Each zone with a circuit-breaker.
am not sure about the T. Tierras
, but old maps of the
Instituto Geográfico Nacional give us at least some indication. No lines are drawn to the villages previously
mentioned but a line runs to the South:
- ed. 1933:
From the mill to the village of Muro de Bellas (sic).
- ed. 1950:
Over Muro much further to San Vicente de Labuerda and the
site is labeled Mol° and C. Eléctrica.
he panel carries gauges for the
current only. Each circuit has its dial with a maximum reach of 70, 125 and 70
Ampères respectively (14). No trace of Voltage meters.
Two more control panels are present (13, 16): one on wood
and the other one on stone.
The panel left is stripped of all instruments except for one switch (200 AMP) and
six paired lamp fittings. Some of the pieces can be found between the rubble on the
(16) main control board
he panel in stone (16 right) looks
like it carries the main controls. On the top row we find a Voltage meter with a scale
between 50 and 250 Volts. There is no brand indicated.
The dials on the 2nd row are for the current. The
surviving dials (17, 18) are from different brands. Asea and Brown Boveri, after a long
history of merges, became one company in 1988.
The next row shows two wheels. Turn left means raise (English, indeed),
right is lower. I presume it's about voltage regulation.
(17) Amps meter 2nd row center
SOCIEDAD ESPAÑOLA DE ELECTRICIDAD
(18) Amps meter 2nd row right
Sdad ESPAÑOLA de ELECTRICIDAD
he bottom row features two circuit breakers and
kind of a fuse-switch with three positions. Notice how the switch at the left
in the open position connects one of the wires to another line (19, left).
In order to keep the voltage always at the same level a RODANG device was
mounted below the main panel (13).
In the 1950s one could often find advertisements for this brand which was distributed
by a Comercial Eléctrica Aznar in Madrid.
Text on the tag of the RODANG device
|REGULADOR AUTOMATICO DE TENSION|
| || ||4.190
Advert in ABC of 31.X.1950
Todo grupo electrogeno
debe tener instalado
un regulador automático de tensión RODANG,
con el que se eliminan las oscilaciones del
alumbrado, se evitan las caídas de tensión
por arranque brusco de motores, etc.
protege al generador contra todas las alteraciones
de la instalación y mejora su rendimiento.
(20) Generator Siemens
he central eléctrica of Puyarruego was
equipped with two generators. One is mounted in the control room (13, 20). The second one
can be found downstairs with the turbines (27). It's not clear if both
were still in use at the end.
The white generator is a Siemens alternator (21, tags).
I forgot to note the data of the black one (27). Next to the Siemens
a third generator is put aside: a D.C. generator of ASEA. We have seen the same brand
in the molino of Arrés
The turbines are a level lower and can easily be reached
via the stairway (22). The installation at the right (23, 25) is labeled Teisset Chapron
* Brault Fs * Chartres. The regulator in the living quarters (24) however carries the text
Teisset Brault & Chapron Paris.
The turbine left (27) is labeled Maquinaria y Metalurgia Aragonesa -
N ?35 - Zaragoza - Utebo. The command wheel (26, in the old bathroom)
features no text. A turbine of the same brand can be found in Aguinalíu.
The company was born in 1902 and reached its top during the 1930s with about 250 people
which is about three times as many as Averly, that other famous company. More about MMA in Salinas de Jaca.
(21) Tag on the white generator.
Tag on the generator (13, 20, 21)
|SIEMENS INDUSTRIA ELECTRICA S.A.|
|ALT||F 263 9-8
Tag on the exciter mounted on the generator
|SIEMENS INDUSTRIA ELÉCTRICA S.A.|
Tag on the generator put aside (20, lower left)
||K O ???
(22) Stairway down to the turbines
(24) Regulator of (23)
(26) command wheel of (27)
(27) Turbine: Maquinaria y Metalurgia Aragonesa
— 1990 — La evolucion reciente del cauce del río Ara.
Cuadernos I. Geográfica: 16/1-2, pp 99-108
See Boltaña for a picture of the November flood of 1997.